- Jan 15,2020
ULGFA held their annual convention in Kellys Inn last Sunday.
ULGFA President Eileen Jones delivered her first address as President. She pointed out several highlights including the U14 Festival of Football, Fermanagh reaching the All Ireland final and the brilliance of the Club Championship.
Eileen also praised the excellent work of our Development team of Ciaran and Aidan.
She thanked all the county secretaries and had special praise for Maggie Skelton and Jock Grogan who have taken a back seat with their respective counties.
Going forward Eileen announced that ULGFA would be running a pilot programme in relation to mental health within 1 club in each county.
She welcomed our new sponsor/ partnership with MFC
Eileen's main hope is to see Ulster teams in Croke Park and Parnell Park in 2020.
The Executive and various committees were thanked. Paddy Donnelly and Ronan Mc Carthy were praised for their work. Delegates got a special mention when she finished by saying "a wiseman participates and others observe".
Other items of note from the Convention include
- Former ULGFA President Michael Naughton confirmed his plan to run for National President
- Sean O Neill from MFC Sport was in attendance and it was announce that MFC and ULGFA would be entering into a 3 year sponsorship deal (more news on this later)
- Paddy Donnelly reported 134 games played in 2019. 33 referees and 18 linespeople used. Assesors also in use with plans for increased usage for the upcoming season.
- John Joe Brady reports on the association being financially sound and is delighted with an increase on gate receipts especially for our club championship
- ULGFA Development Officer Ciaran Murtagh reports a very busy year which included
The delivery of coaching sessions to 12,611 players
- ULGFA PRO Paul Swift reports 10,675 facebook followers which is much more than any of the other 3 provinces
- Registrar Paddy Donnelly reports total membership of 24,126 and increase of 2309 on last year. Membership has increased in all 9 counties. Tyrone lead the way with 4065. Still some concerns about drop out at 17 and 18 years of age